Mexican Skillet Lasagna
Servings: 4 people
Cost: $21.23/recipe = $3.84/person (estimated)
- 1 pound (454g) Lean ground meat (beef, pork or turkey)
- 1 package (30g) Taco spice seasoning
- 1 can (796ml) Diced tomatoes (canned)
- 1 ½ cups (375ml) Low-sodium chicken broth
- 1 small can (540ml) Black beans, drained and rinsed
- 1 small can (199ml) or 1 cup (250g) Corn nibs (can be frozen or from a can)
- 10 strips (½ box=225g) Dry lasagna noodles
- 1 cup (250ml) Cheese shredded
- Heat a large non-stick regular or cast-iron skillet (at least 12 inches wide) over
medium heat (5-6 on the knob).
- Add the ground meat to the hot pan. Stir the meat with a wooden spoon to break the
meat up into smaller pieces. Continue to cook until cooked through, about 5
- Add the diced tomatoes, broth, beans, corn, and spices; stir to mix it all together
and bring to a simmer.
- Using your hands, break the lasagna noodles into 1 ½- to 2-inch pieces and add to
the skillet. Stir with spoon to mix noodles in, making sure as many of the
noodles are under the liquid as possible.
- Simmer on low heat (2-3 on the knob), stirring every 2-3 minutes, until the noodles
are just tender, and the sauce is a bit thicker. This step will take about 20 minutes. Add water as needed if the noodles have absorbed all the liquid before they're cooked. (Test this step and adjust recipe if needed to increase liquid.)
- Turn off the heat. Sprinkle the top of the skillet with cheese and let it melt. Serve while warm.
- Salsa choice: Salsa is important here since it's the foundation of the sauce. Choose a blended salsa so that there's plenty of liquid to cook the lasagna noodles. Choose mild or hot salsa depending on your desired spice level.Vegetarian option: This lasagna can be made vegetarian. Skip the meat and use vegetable broth instead of chicken broth.Go easy on the salt: Since there are a few pre-seasoned ingredients in this recipe (broth and canned beans), I taste and season with salt at the very end.
Food Preparation List:
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Break up 10 lasagna noodles into smaller pieces in a medium sized bowl.