Roast Ham with Scalloped Potatoes and Corn
Servings: 4 people
Cost: $18.40/recipe = $4.60/person (estimated)
- 3 pound (1.3kg) Boneless Smoked Ham
- 1 can (284ml) Cream of Celery Soup
- ⅓ cup (80ml) Milk
- ½ teaspoon (1g) Black Pepper
- 4 large (908g) White Potatoes
- 1 small (½ cup sliced) White Onion
- 2 cups (500g) Frozen Corn Kernels
Food Preparation List:
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 350°F.
- Butter or grease an 8-inch square pan and set aside. This will be used for cooking the scalloped potatoes.
- Line a medium-baking dish with aluminum foil and set aside. This will be used for cooking the ham.
- Remove the outer layer of skin on the onion and discard. Cut the onion in half. Place the flat side on the cutting board and cut the onion into ¼-inch slices.
- Slice the white potatoes into rounds, about ¼-inch thick. To make potatoes easier to slice, cut in half first and then cut into ¼-inch slices.
- Now follow the cooking directions.
- Open the package of ham and place the ham on the foil-lined baking dish. Throw the package in the garbage. Wash and dry your hands. Place the pan in the oven. Cook for 60- 90 minutes until the internal temperature is at least 140°F; test the temperature with a kitchen thermometer, inserted into the middle of the ham.
After you place the ham in the oven continue with preparing the potatoes.
- Combine soup, milk, and black pepper in a large bowl and mix well.
- Mix your sliced onions and sliced potatoes into the bowl of sauce. Stir well to coat the potato slices with the sauce.
- Pour this mixture into the 8-inch pan. Using your hands, press down on the mixture in the pan to make one even layer. Cover the top with either a lid or aluminum foil.
- Place this pan in the oven next to the ham. The potatoes will need to cook for 60-75 minutes.
When the ham is about 15 minutes from being finished cooking, prepare the corn.
- Open the bag of frozen corn and measure out 2 cups of corn for the recipe. Close the bag and return it to the freezer.
- Pour the corn into a medium pot and cover with water. Turn on the burner to medium-high heat and simmer for about 10 minutes, until the corn is hot.
- When the corn is done cooking, turn the heat off on the stove.
- Remove the pot of corn from the burner and carefully drain the water.
- Remove the ham and scalloped potatoes from the oven when they are finished cooking. Slice the ham carefully as it will be very hot.