Pork Chops with Rice and Steamed Broccoli
Servings: 4 people
Cost: $15.71/recipe = $3.93/person (estimated)
- 4 each (1½-2 pounds) 5-6 oz. Pork Chops
- 3 each (1 tablespoon) Garlic Cloves
- ½ cup (125ml) Brown Sugar
- 1½ cups (375ml) Water
- 1 cup (200g) White Rice
- ½ teaspoon (2.5ml) Salt
- 1 tablespoon (15ml) Butter or Oil (optional)
- 1 Head Broccoli
Food Preparation Instructions:
- Wash and dry your hands.
- Preheat the oven to 375°F.
- Line a baking sheet with aluminum foil. This will be for cooking your pork chops on.
- On a cutting board, chop up the garlic cloves very finely.
- In a medium-sized bowl, mix together the brown sugar and chopped garlic.
Prepare the pork chops.
- Open the package of pork chops and add them to the brown sugar mixture. Mix the pork into the sugar mixture until the pork is well coated. Place the pork chops on the foil-lined baking pan. Add any extra sugar mixture to the tops of each pork chop.
- Throw the empty package in the garbage. Wash and dry your hands.
- Place the baking sheet in the oven and cook the pork for 25-35 minutes or until the internal temperature is 145°F or higher when checked with a meat thermometer.
- While the meat is cooking, prepare the rice and broccoli.
Cook the long-grain white rice:
- Rinse the rice: Pour the rice into a fine-mesh strainer. Rinse under cool running water until the water runs clear.
- Bring 1½ cups water to a boil in a medium-sized pot. Stir in rice and salt and return to a boil over medium-high heat.
- Once the rice starts to boil, turn the heat down to low (2-3 on the dial).
- When the rice comes to a low simmer, put a cover on the pot and cook until the rice is tender, and the water is absorbed by the rice. This should take about 15-18 minutes. When the rice is done, it should look like it has small craters or steam holes in it.
- Turn off the heat and remove the pot from the burner. Leave the cover on and let the pot stand for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove the lid, and fluff up the rice with a fork. Keep the rice covered until ready to serve.
Steam the Broccoli:
- Rinse the broccoli in cool running water. Place the broccoli on a cutting board and cut into small florets.
- To use the stem, you will need to peel off the tough, outer layer of the stem. After peeling, cut it into small slices.
- Put all the broccoli in a medium pot. Add ½ cup of water to the pot. Add ½ teaspoon of salt to the pot as well.
- Place the pot on a burner and turn on to medium (5-6 on the dial). Place a lid on the pot. Cook for 5-8 minutes, until the broccoli turns bright green and is tender.
- Remove the pot from the heat and drain off the water. Keep broccoli covered until ready to serve.